Thursday, October 6, 2011

A truth that beggars belief! The truth about evil people so often does.



Richard Bunning  Author 
rated "Fighting the Devil"  4 Stars
A truth that beggars belief!  The truth about evil people so often does.

I would like you to start by reading the negative reviews, then pause to think about what those individuals have actually said.
The first point is that they did not deny the events, but only the personal way in which they were described. That has hopefully reinforced my first point, this is a true story deserving of our time and consideration.
Is this book well written? Well, it isn't the best prose ever to cover a document. However, it is a country mile better than adequately written. Jeannie Walker has produced a personal account of the tragic events that engulfed her and her family, and in a style that kept me engaged from start to finish. The "personal" is of particular significance because deeply held religious convictions, and private understanding about humanities struggles against the "devil", are honestly stated. Being so honest about where she is as a private person adds immensely to the impact of the book. We all have our own personal engagements with evil, and our own interpretations, whether coloured by a religious framework or not. Jeannie's certainly give me pause for thought.
Did this story need telling? Yes, and yes and yes; and may the people who can bring full justice listen. I am sure that on balance the judicial system of Texas is no worse or better than most, but its balance against the plaintiffs in this case are striking.
Does this book deserve five stars? Yes. So why have I only given four? Because just sometimes I felt that Jeannie was torn between writing factual documentary, and emotional story. The book would work equally as powerfully either way, but at times both fail in the blending. As I earlier intimated, it is the emotional story that particularly grabs me. Will I ever read it again? Perhaps not! There won't be a need. I will never be able to forget. 

 
Find Richard Bunning's books on Amazon at: http://amzn.to/oi0CWF

Richard Bunning: The audacious belief that I could make my way in life as an author began in earnest in the winter of 1965, when I turned nine. This passion lasted at least until the freedom of the summer holidays. Of course I dreamed of being the action-hero as well, but the rotten luck of being born rather later than Biggles, and of being too myopic and astigmatic to pass the eyesight tests required of military pilots, ruled out any such heroic future. The honour of flying with James Bigglesworth fell, in my young mind, to the very real figure of my paternal grandfather, Flying Officer Jim Bunning of the RFC. I meanwhile countered my misfortune with the idea that I could at least be the recorder of the adventures by becoming the natural successor to the writing of Captain W.E. Johns. Early interest in adventure books and tall-stories was tempered by the requirement to reorganise my dyslexic mind.

Richard's books:
Another Space in Time, Alexander the Great: Adapted from the Play of Jean Racine, Suitors and Wasps: Two Plays Adapted from Racine and Aristophanes, Esther and Athaliah, Two plays adapted from those of Jean Racine

Find Richard's book on Amazon at: http://amzn.to/nHVQZf

No comments:

Post a Comment